This past weekend I, along with a couple of other Furman alumni friends, played a round of frisbee golf at the ol' alma mater. There are two things I would like to share from our experience.
First off, while we were playing the "Bell Tower" hole, which requires throwing the frisbee down this narrow path, we were each being extra cautious. Back in the old days when we lived on campus and dry clothes were not far away we would often risk having to swim for a frisbee in exchange for the chance at a great shot. This weekend, however, none of us were so daring.
As we approached the Bell Tower, we were waiting for a father, daughter and dog to move so that we could fire our frisbees at the staircase in the middle of the tower. The little girl decided it would be appropriate to pick up a couple of our frisbees and throw them to us. This would be equivalent to picking up someone's golf ball on the green and rolling it back to them - totally inappropriate, but she didn't know any better. Two of her throws almost ended with frisbees in the lake. Then Rick, my friend, threw his frisbee back to her to give her another chance. Foolishness. She threw it in the lake. Since it was too far to reach, the dad dropped their dog in the lake to fetch it. The dog swam half way to it, turned around, went under for a second and was then pulled out by his collar. The girl looked at Rick and said "Someone get a towel." The frisbee was not recovered.
Later as we played past the dining hall we saw this
In case it's unclear, you are looking at a bunch of planters forming a border around a patio area with tables and chairs. The planters are not very tall - it would be easy to hurdle them or step over them if you have bad knees. Nonetheless, there is a gate in the line of planters. The gate has this sign on it:
Really Furman? Is that going to keep anyone in? I can just imagine someone thinking "I would like to leave this patio area, but I can't use the gate because the alarm will sound. And there's no space between these planters to squeeze through. I guess I'll have to go back inside."
September 2, 2009
Frisbee Golf at Furman
2009-09-02T09:56:00-04:00
Joseph
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

